After receiving a travel budget from my University for the first time, I came to sit down and have a look at potentially interesting conferences for the young game academics among us. Now, with so many different focus areas within games your planning might differ. Nevertheless, I though it would be nice to share some of the initial hot spots next year for game academics. On a more personal note: In a perfect world, I could go to all these events. However, my budget would be completely exhausted by GDC alone and I can hardly dream of getting papers accepted in the variety of conferences that are coming up.
Through the progress of the next year (2008) all data is due to change
- CHI Florence, April 2008
- Nordic Game, May 2008 Malmö
- NordiCHI October 2008
- Futureplay (Fall 2008)
- The [Player] conference (August 26th – 29th 2008)
- International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology Japan, December 2008
Industry-focused Events (which are interesting for academics as well)
- GDC San Francisco Feb 18-22 2008
- GC Developers Conference August 2008 Germany
- Ars Electronica (September 2008)
- FMX International Conference on Animation, Effects, Realtime and Content
You can see that most of those conferences are European focused, which is natural since I study in Scandinavia. Drop me a note if you are going to one of these conferences and blog about it, maybe we meet or I could read your reports.